- 2 cups dates
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 280 grams of butter
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cream
- Place dates, water and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes
- Put aside
- Beat together 80g of butter, caster sugar and eggs
- Add date mixture to butter and sugar alternately with flour
- Cook in 3 litre casserole on a low heat for 1/2 hour with the vent closed and 1/2 hour with the vent open. Alternately cook in a 20 cm (8 inch) cake tin at around 160 degrees for approximately 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Mix brown sugar, remaining 200g butter and cream in a saucepan on a low heat.
- When mixed, bring to the boil until thickened.
Credit goes to Scott for this amazing recipe!