I added a pinch of sugar after adding the tomatoes, carrots and used vegetable stock. I also used smoked ham from the supermarket, it comes vacuum packed (about 400g).
- 1 x Chub of ham (no bone – you can use ham on the bone if you like)
- 3 x sticks of celery
- 1 x onion chopped finely
- 1 x red capsicum chopped finely
- 1 x small red chilli
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped finely (or crushed)
- 1 x tablespoon of moroccan seasoning (if you dont have this you
- could use curry powder or cummin powder)
- 1 x teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 x cans of chickpeas
- 1-2 cans of lentils
- 1 x small can of chopped tomatoes
- 500ml x real chicken stock (you can buy it in the carton – its
- 1 litre of water
You can add other vegetables like carrot if you like
- Roast ham in oven with just a little olive oil on top (30mins at 180 degrees)
- While ham is cooking chop all vegetables
- Place celery, garlic, chilli, onion, capsicum and seasoning in the large saucepan
- Remove ham from the oven and put on a chopping board.
- Drain the oil from the pan that you cooked the ham into the saucepan with vegetables.
- Gently fry the vegetables on a low hear to soften. Do not brown them.
- Chop the ham into cubes or shred into pieces.
- Once the vegetables are soft put the can of tomatoes in and cook for a further 2mins.
- Then add the chopped ham and stir.
- Open the cans of lentil and chick peas and rinse under cold running water for about 1 minute.
- Place the lentil and chick peas in the pan with all the other ingredients.
- Add the real chicken stock and water to the saucepan.
- Bring to boil and then turn down the heat and let the soup simmer gently for at least an hour or until the liquid has dissolved to
- the right consistency. (I had mine going for about 5hours, but it doesn’t take that long to cook).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (you prob wont need pepper because of the chilli).
Serve with some nice bread & Enjoy!